Finding Your Way Around Swedenborg's Works
- Swedenborg Sampler - From the Swedenborg Foundation, A Swedenborg Sampler: Selections from Heaven and Hell, Divine Love and Wisdom, Divine Providence, True Christian Religion, and Secrets of Heaven, translated by George F. Dole, Lisa Hyatt Cooper, and Jonathan S. Rose
- Scribe of Heaven - From the Swedenborg Foundation, Scribe of Heaven: Swedenborg's Life, Work, and Impact, edited by Jonathan S. Rose, Stuart Shotwell, and Mary Lou Bertucci
- Swedenborg Explorer's Guidebook - From the Swedenborg Foundation, Swedenborg Explorer's Guidebook: A Research Manual for Inquiring New Readers, Seekers of Spiritual Ideas, and Writers of Swedenborgian Treatises, by William Ross Woofenden
- Swedenborg's Garden of Theology - From the Swedenborg Foundation, Swedenborg's Garden of Theology: An Introduction to Emanuel Swedenborg's Published Theological Works, by Jonathan S. Rose
- Bibliography of Swedenborg's Works - This page shows bibliographic information related to Swedenborg's works. The table shows data for the original Latin publication and for subsequent translations into other languages.
- Translations by Language - This page shows 350+ translations in 21 languages - filter, search and sort to find the translation you need.
- Translation Matrix - Here's a matrix showing the state of existing translations of Swedenborg's published works. We need to turn the blue cells green, and then the yellow cells green, and then the white cells green.
- General Index to Swedenborg's Scripture Quotations
- Glossary of Terms Used by Emanuel Swedenborg - This glossary defines terms used by Emanuel Swedenborg in his theological works. It was originally compiled by John Stuart Bogg in 1915. We have included it in our database; here's a link to the searchable Glossary of Terms tool we created. You can search/sort and see excerpts and linked references as well. (And here's a link to the original glossary in .pdf format, for those that are interested.)
- Related (Parallel) Passages in Swedenborg's Writings - Swedenborgian scholars have been interested in "parallel passages" in his works. Freya Fitzpatrick, compiled this list from several sources. We've pulled the data into our main database, and augmented the structure to allow for other types of relationships, e.g. contrasting, or topical. Here's a link to the searchable database of related passages.
- Compendium - A Compendium of the Theological Writings of Emanuel Swedenborg
- Memorable Occurrences in Swedenborg's Writings - This downloadable spreadsheet of Memorable Occurrences in Swedenborg's Writings was originally compiled by W. C. Henderson in 1960 but has since been updated.
- Index Verborum, Nominum et Rerum in Arcanis Coelestibus (Index to the Words, Names, and Things in the Arcana Caelestia) - This index was finished in by Swedenborg in 1756, but it wasn't published until 1815, in London, by John Augustus Tulk, Esq.
- Collateral Literature - Archive - Browse and search our collection of books and articles based on the works of Emanuel Swedenborg.
- New Church Life - Archive - Browse and search the archive of past New Church Life issues, from 1885 until 2010.
- Swedenborg Concordance - The Swedenborg Concordance is a complete work of reference to the theological writings of Emanuel Swedenborg based on his original Latin writings. Compiled, edited and translated by John Faulkner Potts. This public domain book is made available by The Internet Archive.
- NeoSearch - a Latin study tool designed to help people search Swedenborg's published Latin theological works, with the very cool ability to find all the instances of a specific grammatical usage.
On-Deck Translations of Swedenborg's Works
Scans of Printed Editions of Swedenborg's Works in the Original Latin
- Swedenborg's Works in the original Latin - have been scanned and made available online, by the Bayside New Church in New York.
Swedenborg's Early Theological Studies
- The Worship and Love of God (De cultu et amore Dei) - Text provided by the Swedenborg Foundation
Swedenborg's Study Bibles
- Van der Hooght/Schmidius Biblia Hebraica (1740) - Swedenborg's primary study Bible. This public domain book was scanned by Google as part of a project to make the world's books discoverable online.
- Schmidt Bible (1696 Edition), in Latin, Part 1 of 2 (with Swedenborg's handwritten annotations) - Swedenborg made many annotations in his copy of the 1696 Schmidius Latin Bible, probably when doing doctrinal study. This scan includes those marginal handwritten notes. More information at baysidechurch.org.
- Schmidt Bible (1696 Edition), in Latin, Part 2 of 2 (with Swedenborg's handwritten annotations) - More information at baysidechurch.org.
- The Schmidius Marginalia - In this book, Swedenborg's handwritten Latin annotations in the margins of his Schmidius Bible (1696 Latin Edition) have been translated into English typescript. It includes expository material from his Bible Index. This public domain book was scanned by Google as part of a project to make the world's books discoverable online.
- 1697 Schmidius Bible - This Bible edition came a year later than the 1696 edition that Swedenborg used, so it's very close. It's useful for research in the books of the Bible that Swedenborg did not annotate. Sometimes he quotes or alludes to verses in those books, and it can be useful to know what Schmidt's wording is. This public domain book was scanned by Google as part of a project to make the world's books discoverable online.
- Castellio Bible (scans) - The Castellio Bible in Latin, translated by Sebastian Castellio (in French, Sébastien Châteillon), was sometimes used by Swedenborg as a reference. This public domain book was scanned by Google as part of a project to make the world's books discoverable online.
- Castellio Bible (photographs) - The Castellio bible on dfg-viewer.de
- Tremellius Bible - The Tremellius Bible in Latin, translated by Immanuel Tremellius. In latter parts of his work The Word Explained, when Swedenborg refers to another translator, it is usually to Tremellius. This public domain book was scanned by Google as part of a project to make the world's books discoverable online.
- University of Notre Dame's Latin Dictionary and Grammar Aid
- Latinitium.com, a site that makes it easy to learn Latin.
Protestant and Catholic Documents which Swedenborg Refutes
- The Book of Concord, or, in the original Latin, the Formula Concordia.
- The decrees of the Roman Catholic Church's Council of Trent, from 1546 to 1563.
Do you know of other resources out there that could be added to our collection? Send us a message.