[AUTHOR'S INTRODUCTORY NOTE]
The HEAVENLY ARCANA - the matters in Sacred Scripture or the Word of the Lord that have been disclosed - stand in explanatory sections entitled THE INTERNAL SENSE OF THE WORD. As for the nature of that sense, see what has been presented on the subject from experience in 1767-1777, 1869-1879, and in addition in the main body of the work, in 1-5, 64-66, 167, 605, 920, 937, 1143, 1224, 1404, 1405, 1408, 1409, 1502 end, 1540, 1659, 1756, 1783, 1807.
The MARVELS -- things seen in the world of spirits and in the angelic heaven - have been placed in sections before and after each chapter. In this first volume the sections are:
1. Man's awakening from the dead and his entry into eternal life, 168-181.
2. The entry into eternal life of one who has been so awakened, 182-189.
3. Man's entry into eternal life - continued, 314-319.
4. The nature of the life of a soul or spirit at that time, 320-327.
5. Some examples of what certain spirits had thought during their lifetime about the soul or spirit, 443-448.
6. Heaven and heavenly joy, 449-459.
7. Heaven and heavenly joy - continued, 537-546.
8. Heaven and heavenly joy - continued, 547-553.
9. The communities that constitute heaven, 684-691.
10. Hell, 692-700.
11. The hells of people who have gone through life hating, desiring revenge, and being cruel, 814-823.
12. The hells of people who have gone through life committing adultery and acts of unrestrained lust; also the hells of deceivers and witches, 824-871.
13. The hells of the avaricious; then the filthy Jerusalem and the robbers in the desert. Also the utterly foul hells of people who have lived wholly engrossed in the pursuit of pleasures, 938-946.
14. Other hells that are different from those mentioned already, 947-970.
15. Vastations, 1106-1113.
[NCBSP editor's note: The table of contents for Volume 2 of this translation may be found in section 1114.]