At this day nothing else than the self-evidencing reason of love will reestablish [the church], because they have fallen.
The church of this day errs concerning God; it errs concerning faith; it errs concerning charity; and it knows nothing of eternal life; thus it is in thick darkness.
The whole of religion is founded upon the idea of God; and that the former follows according to the latter.
This church is that to which all churches, from the first in order, have aimed; and concerning which Daniel prophesied.
The New Church could not be established before the Last Judgment was accomplished, is for the reason that holy things should not be profaned. Then it was promised that the spiritual sense of the Word would be revealed, also that the Lord alone is the Word, whose Coming then takes place.
The reason that few at this day have religion is:
(1) It is not known concerning the Lord that He is the Only God, in Person and Essence, in whom is the Trinity; when nevertheless all religion is founded upon the knowledge of God and adoration and worship of Him;
(2) It is not known that faith is nothing else than truth, and it is not known whether that which they call faith is truth or not;
(3) It is not known what charity is nor what evil and good are;
(4) It is not known what eternal life is.
In the degree in which the truths of life become of life, in that degree the truths of faith become of faith and not the least more or less. Some things are of knowledge and not of faith.
2. IN THIS WORK IS CONTAINED THE WHOLE THEOLOGY OF THE NEW CHURCH WHICH IS MEANT BY THE "NEW JERUSALEM" IN THE APOCALYPSE.
Canons of the New Church # 1